Medications, supplements, steroid injections, and surgical procedures – there are plenty of treatments to alleviate joint pain, and quite frankly, none of them sound too appealing. From unwanted risks and side effects to lengthy recovery periods, treating joint pain often requires patients to weigh their list of pros and cons.
Medical treatments are sometimes necessary to treat joint issues, but if you’re looking for an all-natural solution to relieve joint pain and inflammation, the answer could be sitting right inside your refrigerator. Check out some of these foods that can keep your joints strong, healthy and pain-free!
- Fish- Certain kinds of fish are packed with omega-3 fatty acids which decrease inflammation by blocking the production of enzymes that erode cartilage. Wild caught salmon, tuna, mackerel, or herring are all excellent sources of omega-3s, so have fun experimenting with different fish and recipes!
- Oranges- This sweet and tangy citrus contains beta-cryptoxanthin, an antioxidant which is known to decrease development of inflammatory joint conditions. Getting your daily dose of beta-cryptoxanthin could reduce your risk of arthritis by 41 percent, so grab an orange and start peeling your way to healthier joints!
- Ginger- This bold, exotic root offers a whole lot more than a kick of Asian flair. Compounds found within ginger help to alleviate pain and reduce joint inflammation. One study found that ginger extract was more powerful than ibuprofen or betamethasone, two medications commonly used to treat arthritis.
- Turmeric- This aromatic spice, commonly found in Indian dishes, is known for its vibrant yellow color and its healing properties. Curcumin, the pigment that gives turmeric its hue, acts as a pain reliever and inhibits several enzymes responsible for causing inflammation (Source: The Alternative Daily).
- Olive oil- Oils often have a bad reputation for being unhealthy, but it’s important to remember that not all oils are created equal. Extra virgin olive oil contains healthy fats as well as oleocanthal, a compound that has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Broccoli- Rich in vitamins and nutrients, broccoli is arguably one of the best vegetables you can eat, especially for joint benefits. Broccoli contains calcium for strong, healthy bones and sulforaphane, a compound which is believed to prevent osteoarthritis (Source: Arthritis Foundation).
Joint pain can be, well, a pain, but you can take steps to alleviate it with the right types of foods. Stock your refrigerator with healthy fruits, vegetables, meats and spices that can help you build stronger, healthier joints. It’s a treatment option you won’t have to think twice about, and the reward will be oh so satisfying!